The Blood Center
- Blood Banks
The Blood Center, a nonprofit organization led by a volunteer Board of Trustees, is the
primary supplier of blood and blood components to more than 30 area hospitals and
outpatient facilities throughout Southeast Louisiana and Southern Mississippi. The Blood
Center operates 10 donor centers in the Gulf South.
Every type is the right type, and while 60% of the population is eligible to donate blood,
less than 5% does it. To maintain a healthy and stable community blood supply, The
Blood Center must collect between 300 to 350 pints of blood every day.
• 1%, that’s how many more Americans it would take to end blood shortages
• Blood donors need to be 17 years of age (or 16 with a parent’s consent) and
have a picture ID
• The donation process takes less than an hour
• Someone needs blood every three seconds
• You can donate blood every 56 days
We can come to you!